Digital Marketing Definition, “Digital marketing or advertising is a form of direct marketing which links consumers with sellers electronically, using interactive technologies like emails, websites, online forums and newsgroups, interactive television, mobile communications etc (Kotler and Armstrong, 2009)”
Breaking it down, advertising is the art of presenting products to consumers in a lucrative manner, with consumers realizing their needs and ending up buying them. And Digital marketing is the art of advertising through digital channels (social media, mobile applications, email, software, websites, blogs, and the like) to connect with current and prospective customers.
The reason for its adoption and huge boost is very simple. Everybody is connected to the digital world and hooked up to their smartphones almost the entire day. Everybody digitally browses through their interests round the clock, and thus in this 21st century, it is the best place for a marketer to jump into.
Digital marketing can be executed through online and offline.
Role of Digital Marketing
The main role of digital marketing is to advertise your products methodically and efficiently to customers. With digital marketing and proper research, a marketer can advertise their brand to the only prospective customers interested in them. Unlike a billboard displaying a gym ad to a bouncer or a professor, digital marketing ensures this ad goes to a responsive new college student.
Digital marketing is
- Consumer specific: 22% of the world population is on Facebook. 76% of Facebook users and 51% of Instagram users are on it every day. Thus, people only see relevant ads, which brings us to point 2.
- Less investment, more revenue: A company no longer has to invest in the entire population, just on the fitting ones based on sex, age, region, everything. The cost required reduces automatically. And when the customer pool responds, effectively more revenue draws in.
- Brand building: Since specific people are targeted, with proper service, brand trust automatically increase quicker.
- Target-pool specific analytics
- Integrating Mobile tech and marketing
- Automation and Personalization of tasks
How to do a digital marketing business?
Firstly, let’s know about the common digital marketing methods:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Pay-per-click Advertising (PPC)
- Email Marketing.
- Content Marketing.
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- Affiliate Marketing.
The main steps for successful digital marketing are:
- Define your goals
- Define your target market
- Define your budget and choose which channel you want to use
- Set up Ads on Social Media Platforms
- Work on any above Digital Marketing Methods
- Start a Company Blog (further increasing time spent on your website)
Utilizing Google-Ads (PPC) or optimizing company website for search engines (SEO) are the most common methods, and require keyword research.
Whenever a user searches anything on search engines (Google or Bing), it shows results through its algorithm. Since users click on the top results you need to be on the 1st page. The best method is to find out what users check out using your business’ keywords.